Using the Steamer Vessel to Steam and Simmer Foods
The steamer vessel comes with some Amana microwaves but can be purchased as an accessory. Use it to steam fish, vegetables or rice. It can also be used to simmer foods. The steamer is microwave safe and fits all microwaves with an oven capacity of 13 3/4" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/4".
- Lid: Always use the lid when steaming. Place directly over the insert and base or just the base.
- Insert: Use when steam cooking, to keep foods such as fish and vegetables out of the water. Place insert with food directly over the base. Do not use when simmering.
- Base: For steam cooking, place water in base. For simmering foods such as rice, potatoes, pasta and vegetables, place food and water/liquid in base.
- The steamer vessel is designed to be used only in the microwave oven.
- The steamer vessel will become hot. Always use oven mitts or pot holders when handling.
- Always place the steamer vessel on the glass turntable. Check that the turntable turns freely before starting the microwave oven.
- The steamer vessel is dishwasher safe, but can also be cleaned with mild soap and water.
- Do not use in a convectional- or combination-type oven, with any other convection or crisp function, or on electric or gas burners.
- Do not use plastic wrap or aluminum foil when covering the food.
- Do not remove lid while the base is inside the microwave oven, as the rush of steam will disrupt the sensor settings.
- Do not overfill with water. See the steam chart in the “Steam Cooking” section for the amount of water recommended.
Steam Vessel (8205262RB) is available at select retailers, including Amazon.